Sunday, 30 December 2012

Me, Exercise, Dercums Disease & Fibromyalgia.

SpoonieLife

it's nearly a year now since my dreaded new normal occurred.  I found out it's my Dercums that is getting worse the pain is now spreading to bigger areas.

My fibromyalgia causes pain in muscles & ligaments. My Dercums causes pain in my fat layer that lives under my skin & also causes thickening of the skin. The two diseases are nearly identical for symptoms.

One year ago I became to ill to get off my bed for 5months. I have spent the last 7 slowly rebuilding my strength & learning what I can do again. I have gained 24lbs during this process as before I got really poorly I was managing most weeks to make the gym 3 Times weekly for an hour n a half session of strength training & fat burning.

All nice, slow, manageable, low impact exercise that toned my muscles & took my weight to it's lowest since before childbirth.  The regular release of endorphins & liking my reflection helped with the depression being a spoonie can bring.

I also got better mobility, range, motion, posture as my muscles strengthened & my weight decreased. I noticed that less weight meant less pain in hips, knees, ankles & feet.  I found that my digestive system worked better, that my ibs had halved in intensity. I no longer suffered with a bloated, distended stomach to the point laying in bed with oversized pjs on was the only comfortable option.

I suffered with less muscle spasms meaning I got a deeper quality of sleep as instead of having painful spasms when in a rested state I barely flinched. My breathing improved dramatically when I weighed less & moving around was a lot more effortless and very energy efficient. I find when I'm overweight I get out of breath easily & any energy I can muster is halved during movement.

I've been feeling really down about my weight gain as my pain levels have been going through the roof. My hips & knees are starting to grumble about carrying excess weight again. I'm not sleeping as well as I was & after seeing what I could achieve physically, no longer like what I see looking back.

I'm still unable to use the gym, just getting dressed to go there kills me. I can't just chuck a tracksuit on & walk out the door. I need a bath every morning due to the amount I sweat at night. So gym for me involves bath, dressed, gym, first half of exercises, whole dry gym outfit, second half of exercises.  Then home, collapse for 2hrs, bath again, pyjamas.

I can't hack that routine now but feel well enough to do some form of exercise so had a good think about what I can make work for me & the best thing I ever exercised on was a rowing machine. 

Lots of different resistances & levels to fit in with My spoonieness, also its a great all over body toner & fat burning workout. My lightbulb lit if I can't go to the gym I'm bring a part of it to me. I have ordered a rowing machine with a great seat for comfort also that can be easily stored.

Once it arrives I am going to do a weigh in with measurements & photos then update on my progress once a week. It's hard to exercise at a gym I am realising why others don't. Unfortunately being a spoonie means we expend such little energy that we' d have to practically starve to lose any weight which is why many of us gain weight so rapidly.

At least having a rowing machine at home means it won't matter if I'm all sweaty with panda eyes wearing only my pants & a t- shirt Il be able to exercise. It won't matter if my hair is brushed, the only thing that will matter is that unless I'm bedridden completely I WILL BE ABLE TO EXERCISE whenever I feel able and I've felt able for a while but only if I didn't have to put any energy into a trip to the gym.

Wish me luck & here goes the beginning of yet another journey of learning what I can & cannot do with the limitations & boundaries of my new normal.

xxx Georgie

5 comments:

  1. This is great! i have always wanted to know where all the yummy Vegan places were and now i can easily eat out at these place or order in! thanks so much!
    back spasms exercises

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natural therapies are the best to cure the diseases like fibromylygia. Most of the time Females are more susceptible to fibromyalgia. I rather prefer Chiropractic treatment for treating fibromylygia. They use gentle force of the hands on the body & spine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with your insights. In today's internet generation, the only way to get an edge in the market out there is to be visible using any other techniques know to men to be able to get the connection in the online community
    pain management institute

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the help of PRP hair treatment in Chicago you can have hair restoration without having any risks and pain. PRP Therapy for hair is safe and longlasting.
    prp hair loss treatment cost

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks 
    Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain Management Diagnosis, Causes, Symptoms, Treatments

    ReplyDelete